Re: locate-with-filter

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:38:24 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       It seems to be a result of a feature that, I believe, Stefan
       implemented whereby, in a docstring, RET or Mouse-2 lead to the doc of
       anything that has a definition as a Lisp variable, face or function,
       regardless of whether it is quoted.

   But isn't that feature also controlled by words that appear before the
   symbol name?

No, it works completely unconditionally, as long as the symbol under
point is a variable, function or face.

   Where is that code?

`help-follow' in help-mode.el.

   For instance, if it says "the variable `foo'", the link
   will use the variable definition, not the function definition.  We
   should be able to change that code so that "the program `foo'" does
   not operate as a link.

I believe that it would make little sense, given the _completely_
unconditional nature of the feature.  For instance, if your above
quote were part of a docstring, `help-follow' would follow links to
the Elisp function `not' when using RET or mouse-2 on the `not' in
"not the function definition" and in "not operate as a link".

I must say that I personally do not like that feature.  Fortunately,
at least it does not follow those dubious links on mouse-1.

Sincerely,

Luc.