Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:59:41 +0000

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> On the other hand, it's simply frustrating to be told: "to set up a
> build environment, use either MSVC, or cygwin GCC, or MingW GCC, and
> one of several possible versions of make, with or without bash, and we
> won't tell you whether or not to use MSYS"... then, when you choose
> some combination of these components, you get a build failure.

from nt/INSTALL:

  MSYS sh.exe also appears to cause various problems. If you have
  MSYS installed, try "make SHELL=cmd.exe" to force the use of cmd.exe
  instead of sh.exe.

Emacs used to build only with msvc, nmake and cmd.exe. The problem
with this situation is that it is a non-Free set of tools. A lot of
effort was put in to make Emacs build with gcc. Bug reports quickly
came in that Emacs didn't build with Cygwin bash as the shell, so this
was fixed. Now we have people complaining that it doesn't build with
MSYS as the shell, despite the INSTALL file warning against that.  It
is clear that people will use whatever tools and shells they want to,
and we must do our best to make them work and document it. While
singling out one toolset to document might make things easier for
newcomers, it will also offend a large number of zealots who prefer
some other toolset.