Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:30:02 -0500

        Regarding the proposal for recursive minibuffer commands to
        quit the outer minibuffer:

    1) Are you referring to David R's suggestion to "automatically quit the
    command that's occupying the minibuffer whenever another command requires
    it"?

    David's example was `C-x b' after `C-x C-f'. I think he was suggesting that
    `C-x b' should "take over", so that `C-x C-f' is abandoned (analogous to
    `C-x b' exiting incremental search). Is that what you mean too?

They are not exactly the same.  Both ideas could be considered.

     It can be convenient sometimes for
    a command at a deeper minibuffer level to return its result directly to the
    top-level command reading minibuffer input - if the recursive-minibuffer
    command knows that that is the right thing to do.

I am completely lost, I don't follow your scenario.
However, since it is complex, it is irrelevant to our
decision about what to do in a simple case.