Re: Missing APIs for keymaps...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Missing APIs for keymaps...
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:59:16 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> in mouse.el to also work on images in overlays with a keymap and a
>> display property of an image.  Uh, tough.  We can presumably get the
>> image with posn-object.  But I don't see any way to get from there to
>> the keymap at that position.
>
> Can you use (get-char-property (posn-point posn) 'keymap) ?
> Of course, if the keymap property is not on the buffer text but on
> a before-string, that won't work :-(

It is either on a before-string, or on a display property of an
overlay.  I'd like to give either a follow-link property and have
Emacs 22 work, and that would require some changes to mouse.el.  But I
don't see that those changes can be made with reasonable effort given
the current API.

Since the _functionality_ that is required is already available
internally, (keymap lookup at mouse click position), it would appear
that the sanest course of action would be exposing it, and then
changing mouse.el accordingly to heed follow-link.