Re: locate-with-filter

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:13:05 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   How about making them use help-follow-symbol instead of help-follow?
   Wouldn't that make them work right?

mouse-2 and RET _are_ working right in these buffers.  That is not the
problem.  The problem is that the introductory text says to use
`M-x help-follow', whereas it should be saying to use RET.
The problem is that the "\\[help-follow]" in the docs is not working
right, probably because of the use of `minor-mode-overriding-map-alist'.
That is why I suggested to simply hardcode RET in the docstring and
that is what my two last patches do.

   I do not understand this proposal at all.  help-follow now does
   exactly the right thing for help buffers: it has a useful doc string
   but it always gets an error.  I don't see why we should change that.
   If some other mode wants a different command, make a different command
   for it.

I was not concerned with some other mode wanting a different command.
I was concerned with a user wanting to bind help-follow to a different
key than RET.  With the current code, this will not work.  After my
latest patch to help-mode.el it would work.  But maybe this is not
important enough to worry about.  Anyway, if the user quite simply
can not rebind help-follow to anything but RET, then there definitely
would be no problem with hardcoding RET in the two docs I was talking
about.

Sincerely,

Luc.