Re: M-x normal-mode and local variables

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: M-x normal-mode and local variables
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:56:14 -0400

    I think using M-x normal-mode is sufficiently uncommon that we shouldn't try
    too hard to streamline it.  So I vote to have it query.  Especially since
    there's no guarantee that the user actually checked the local variables
    before calling M-x normal-mode, so blindly obeying the local variables could
    be dangerous in some scenarios.

That is a significant point.  I would still like to hear what others
have to say.