Re: emacs doc changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs doc changes
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:50:33 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:44:43 -0400
> Cc: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Let me also remind people that diff-mode.el provides diff-context->unified
> and diff-unified->context commands.

``Remind us''?  You mean, we were supposed to know that somehow?

The manual says almost nothing about diff-mode, which IMHO is a shame,
since it's a great time savior.  For example, yesterday I found out
(by sheer luck, simply because I typed a command in the wrong buffer)
that "C-x 4 a" does TRT in the diffs buffer, i.e. looks up the hunk's
function in the original file and generates a correct ChangeLog entry.
This feature exists since Oct 2000, but all that NEWS has to say about
diff-mode, since Emacs 21.1 until today, is this:

    *** diff-mode.el provides `diff-mode', a major mode for
    viewing/editing context diffs (patches).  It is selected for files
    with extension `.diff', `.diffs', `.patch' and `.rej'.

I think at least emacs-xtra.texi should include some decent
documentation for a feature which any serious programmer should be
using every day.