Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:53:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Ralf!

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

>* Stefan Monnier (2006-04-24) writes:

>> I was talking about programmer work, and I've shown you the code for
>> font-lock-multiline: it's quite a bit shorter and more straightforward than
>> your hack using b-c-f and a-c-f: just match the multiline element, place
>> a font-lock-multiline property on it, and you're set.

>Do you even have to bother with placing font-lock-multiline properties
>manually?  In AUCTeX we simply set the font-lock-multiline variable to
>t and font-lock added the property automatically.

Yes, absolutely!  There are two separate things here which Stefan is
failing to distinguish:

(i) The matching of keywords which span line breaks;

(ii) Extending a font-lock region to include all text needing
refontification.

If I've understood font-lock-multiline properly, only manually setting
f-l-m can achieve purpose (ii).

--
Alan.