Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:36:57 -0400

>> If putting the hook into `font-lock-default-fontify-region' works
>> reliably, why do you need it in `after-change-functions' and
>> `jit-lock-fontify-now' as well?

> It doesn't work reliably.

On its own, it doesn't.  Just like an after-change-function on its own is
not reliable, and a font-lock-multiline on its own is not reliable.  But he
uses font-lock-multiline as well, and that coupled with
font-lock-default-fontify-region *is* reliable.

> 1: "string \
> 2: over \
> 3: several  <======= point is here, having just deleted a character.
> 4: lines."

Come on' Alan, we've been through this: font-lock-multiline handles it
just fine.

        Stefan