Re: memory leak

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: memory leak
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:06:27 -0500 (CDT)

Robert Chassell wrote:

   My normal instances of Emacs do have a large number of large files
   open at once, but the numbers I reported are for when they are killed.

   How does memory get consumed after Emacs processes are killed?

For me, no appreciable amount of extra memory seems to get consumed
with `emacs -Q -nbc' before Emacs is killed, but I do not have
anything special like desktop enabled.  After Emacs is killed, all of
Emacs' memory should be given back to the OS rather quickly, which
happens for me whenever I kill Emacs.

   What should I look for after successfully running
   `save-buffers-kill-emacs' on all instances of Emacs?

This beats me.  Maybe some other memory consuming process being
launched and surviving the killing of Emacs.  Are you running top with
processes ordered by memory consumption?

Sincerely,

Luc.