Re: re-builder highlighting incorrect for more than 3 groupings

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: re-builder highlighting incorrect for more than 3 groupings
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:30:22 +0200

On 5/2/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

A complete waste of code for no apparent good whatsoever.

Then remove the definitions for faces reb-match-[1-3]. reb-match-0
should suffice. At the very least, reb-match-[2,3] are unnecessary,
from a zen-minimalistic POV.

Not to mention that "no apparent good whatsoever" is highly
subjective, isn't it? I have that very same feeling every time I look
at customize...

So what?  It is not like the cycling code would keep them from doing
that if they want to.

No. But I think we could agree that there are at least three criteria
(perhaps more) to define something as a good default for Emacs:

- Defaulting to that something makes Emacs safer out-of-the-box
- Defaulting to that something is easier to understand for a newbie
 - If not a default, most people interested in the feature will set
or define that something in their .emacs

I was hypothesizing about the third condition.

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u