Re: memory consumption with pure-space-overflow

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: memory consumption with pure-space-overflow
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 13:42:38 +0200

On Sat, May 06 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I had added a similar reference in `command-line-1' which I updated to
>     refer to "Pure Storage" now.  Maybe we should put the common text into
>     a defconst
>
> How big is this common text?

This text is used twice (once in `normal-splash-screen' and once
`fancy-splash-screens-1):

  Warning Warning!!!  Pure space overflow    !!!Warning Warning
  \(See the node Building Emacs in the Lisp manual for details.)\n

In `command-line-1' we have a similar text:

     (display-warning
      'initialization
      "Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See the node Pure Storage in the
Lisp manual for details.)"
      :warning)

>              and/or use `display-warning' also in `normal-splash-screen'
>     and `fancy-splash-screens-1'?
>
> Use them for what?  What problem are you trying to solve?

(It's more a minor issue than a problem, but ...)

When updating the text, we might forget one of the three occurrences.
(See above.)

In `normal-splash-screen' and `fancy-splash-screens-1' (one of these
is called from `display-splash-screen'), we simply insert the waring
into the splash screen.  Maybe using `display-warning' would make the
warning stand out more clear.  E.g. when the user already types
something during initialization, the splash screen isn't displayed:

    ;; If user typed input during all that work,
    ;; abort the startup screen.  Otherwise, display it now.
    (unless (input-pending-p)
      (display-splash-screen))))

Maybe the place in `command-line-1' where I added `display-warning' is
not the best choice or we can simplify displaying the pure space
warning in some other way without having it several times in
`startup.el', e.g. using `display-warning' once if `(and
pure-space-overflow (not noninteractive))' is t.  I will look into
this in a few days (I don't have the sources here, ATM), unless .

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)