Re: gdb call with core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gdb call with core
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:25:06 +0300

> From: Klaus Zeitler <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:57:34 +0200
>
> When the core file is not in the same dir as the emacs image, I can call
> gdb in the dir, where the core file resides, with:
> "gdb <path-to-emacs>/emacs core".
> This doesn't work in emacs, here I have to specify:
> "<path-to-emacs>/emacs <path-to-core-dir>/core"

What happens if you type "M-x cd RET <path-to-core-dir> RET", before
invoking GDB (you may need to switch to a buffer that doesn't visit
any file, before you invoke `cd')?  Does it work then?

Emacs behaves as if you were in the current buffer's
default-directory; if that is not where the core file resides, the
behavior you describe is perfectly reasonable and expected.