Re: copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:57:04 -0500 (CDT)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   I am trying to enhance my reading capabilities, but I can not understand
   the difference between the arguments ok-if-already-exists and mustbenew
   in the doc for `copy-file'. Can someone please explain this to me?

   The only difference I see is that  "never overwrite" is mentioned for
   "mustbenew" - though I hope this holds for the first argument too.

I do not immediately see the difference either.  mustbenew was
introduced by the following change:

2005-04-23  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>

            * fileio.c (Fcopy_file): New arg MUSTBENEW.
            (Frename_file): Pass new arg to Fcopy_file.

I do not immediately understand why Frename_file could not have used
the ok-if-already-exists arg.

   However it sounds like the second argument should be about modification
   times, but the doc string does not say so.

I do not understand this one.  I assume you mean the second _optional_
argument.  From the docstring:

   Fourth arg keep-time non-nil means give the output file the same
   last-modified time as the old one.  (This works on only some systems.)

Another problem is that the preserve-uid-gid arg is not mentioned in
the `(elisp)Changing Files' description of copy-file.

Sincerely,

Luc.