Re: Windows Printing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows Printing
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:38:57 +0300

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:32:31 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> I am very sure about the conclusion that the printer is not reset when
> >> accessed from Emacs. What exactly do you disagree upon?
> >>

> > That ``sending data is not supposed to be done as Emacs does it'' on
> > MS-Windows.
> >
> Why do you think it is in accordance with the MS documentation to do so?

That's not what I said.  I said that I didn't see anything in the docs
that specifically _precludes_ us from doing what Emacs does.

> > If someone contributes code to do that, I don't think it will be
> > rejected.  Assuming that it blends well into the overall Emacs
> > printing interface (which in practice probably means we should wrap
> > that code in an external lpr emulator program).
> >
> I took a look once but did not have time to go further.

Same here.

> That said my impression is that to print on w32 using GDI you should
> do the same thing as when you use GDI to output to the screen.

Yes, in principle.  But then you have the mess with choosing the right
fonts, including for non-ASCII characters, the mess with figuring out
the paper layout, etc. etc.

> Does Emacs render the whole buffer with GDI or just the part that
> is visible at the moment?

The latter, of course.  But that's for display; printing is different,
obviously.  And like I said, this code should probably live outside
Emacs in a lpr work-alike that we distribute.

> >> Then perhaps a link to http://EmacsWiki.org/ could be in the Info node?
> >>
> > That's something for the FAQ, not the manual.
> Could you please explain why?

Because it's a minor point.