RE: Q on performance with 10000 faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on performance with 10000 faces
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:18:39 -0700

    It could be that this slowness is due to some foolish mistake we could
    easily fix.  If not, if it requires a redesign, we surely can't do
    that now.  So the crucial question is, where does it spend its time?

    You can find that out by running under a debugger, and stopping Emacs
    with the debugger about 10 times while the slowness is happening.
    When you notice one place appearing repeatedly, you have found it.

I'm sorry, but I don't have either the knowledge or the time to investigate
that. Perhaps someone acquainted with the Emacs redisplay code will take up
the challenge.