Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 27, Issue 138

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 27, Issue 138
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:13:07 +0300

> From: "djh" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:53:38 +0900
>
> I recently upgraded my cygwin to version 5.19 as of today (May 23, 2006)
> The emacs version was cvs update with a check-out today.
>
> I am building emacs targeted to the POSIX features of cygwin and will use
> cygwin's x-windows.  So this is not a native Micosfot os oriented build.
>
> The make bootrap operation ran successfully for about an hour unil it aborted.

Thank you for your report.

Is this the first time you tried to build the Cygwin port, or did you
do this before?  If the latter, do I understand correctly that with
previous versions of Cygwin Emacs did succeed to bootstrap
successfully?

> ./temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
> Using load-path (/cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp
> /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp
> /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/language
> /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/international
> /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
> Cannot open load file: emacs-lisp/byte-run
> make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs.exe] Error 255
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/src'
> make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> ----
>
> Here I checked out if byte-run was anywhere.
>
> $ find . -name "byte-run*" -print
> ./lisp/erc/emacs-lisp/byte-run.el
> ./lisp/erc/emacs-lisp/byte-run.elc
>

> So I have it but, it was not found.

How come the emacs-lisp directory wound up under lisp/erc/???  The
lisp/erc directory should include only the erc-* files, which are
parts of the erc package.

This is the reason for the problem: byte-run.* files should be in
./lisp/emacs-lisp/, not in ./lisp/erc/emacs-lisp/.

Please investigate how did it happen that the structure of your Lisp
directory tree became messed up somehow.  I could think of 2 possible
reasons, depending on how did you get the CVS sources: some problem
with the CVS client or (if you moved the files in some archive and
unpacked them) with the program that unpacked the tarball.  But these
are wild guesses, the real answer is on your machine.

> I am guessing that .../lisp/erc/emacs-lisp  needs to be added to the load
> path.
> Or was byte-run supposed to be moved into an existing loadpath automatically?

Neither.  It was supposed to be in a different place, which is already
on your load-path: /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp.