Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:16:53 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:
    > You use arrow keys to navigate the menu and enter/return to select an
item.
    >  Using the keyboard is the right thing.
> > Some X toolkits have conventions for using the keyboard to activate menus
    > and menu items.  I am not sure what they are; do you know? To what extent
    > do they work with Emacs?  Is your patch coherent with them?  Could it be?

The patch is coherent in that it implements opening menus on F10, which is standard for many toolkits.

I see that my words were unclear.  The issue I meant to raise is
specifically about the use of arrow keys and RET to select menu items.
How does that compare with what various X toolkits do?

It is what X toolkits do. In fact, once the menu is posted, the arrow navigation and RET selection is all done by the toolkit (Lesstif/Motif/Gtk+).

When a menu has been opened there may be more accelerators (like S for Save), so instead of using the arrow to navigate down to Save and then press RET, you can press just S or Alt+S to select Save.

That answers the question I meant to ask.

My patch does not implement this, but it is quite easy to do in Lesstif/Motif and Gtk+ (harder in Lucid). The thing is to decide which accelerators to use and how to represent them in the current lisp menu structures.

Since the motive for this would be compatibility with various
toolkits, I think it ought to try to choose the accelerators in the
same way that the toolkit in use does it.

Toolkits in general doesn't choose accelerators, the programmers of the applications that uses the toolkit does. However, many meny entries are similar in a lot of applications (Open/Save/Copy/Paste/...) so we can choose those to be similar.

You say this is "harder in Lucid".  Why is that?  Do the Lucid menus
support navigating within a menu with the keyboard using accelerators?
If not, then the arrow key solution you have already implemented is as
compatible as any other would be.

The lucid toolkit does not have support for accelerators, but the arrow and RET selection support is there.

        Jan D.