Re: bootstrap problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:07:29 +0300

> Cc: "djh" <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> From: "djh" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:47:58 +0900

> 0x610ad945 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

So Emacs does, indeed, crash.  However, your previous transcript
indicated it was a SIGABRT, not SIGSEGV:

> Fatal error (6)zsh: abort (core dumped)  ./bootstrap-emacs.exe -batch
> --no-site-file --multibyte -f  byte-opt.el

Signal 6 is SIGABRT, IIRC.

> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0x610ad945 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> #1  0x6108dd7f in _sigfe () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> #2  0x00000003 in ?? ()
> #3  0x0022ee18 in ?? ()
> #4  0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #5  0x0022ee18 in ?? ()
> #6  0x0022ee38 in ?? ()
> #7  0x200a2100 in main (argc=539893664, argv=0x4) at emacs.c:1062

Ouch!  Was your Emacs compiled with "-gdwarf-2 -g3" compiler switches?
If not, please reconfigure to use these and rebuild.  It will be very
hard to debug this without a reliable debug info.  Also, please make
sure you have the latest version of GDB available under Cygwin.  If
there's a version of cygwin1.dll with full debug info, please use that
as well in your next trials.

If none of the above helps to get a more meaningful backtrace, I'm
afraid you will need to ask on the Cygwin list for more help.  We need
some way of getting a meaningful backtrace, to know where Emacs
crashes, and I don't know enough about Cygwin internals to suggest how
to get it, except with the above advice.

> Lisp Backtrace:
> 0x0 Lisp type 0
> Cannot access memory at address 0x0
>
> xbacktrace
> 0x0 Lisp type 0
> Cannot access memory at address 0x0

This is expected when C-level backtrace is garbled as above.

Thanks.