Re: find-function-C-source-directory

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: find-function-C-source-directory
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:22:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:50:08 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>

It is quite hard for those downloading prebuilt binaries of Emacs to view the C sources.

Could you elaborate a bit: what makes it hard?

I assume you are talking about users that do have the sources on their
machine, so the only problem is that the source directory is not what
is recorded in the binary.  If so, the only problem I know of is that
they need to type in the directory where they have the sources, only
once per session, when Emacs prompts for it.
Yes, that is correct. The problem is how they should find out that. Where is that information? I think that it should be there right when they try to access the C sources from within help. And possibly somewhere in the manual too.

If find-function-C-source-directory is nil then the user is prompted for the directory where the sources are. I think that is good, but not in accordance with the doc string for this var. But it is quite hard to find out that it is this variable you should set if you want it Emacs to remember where the sources are. And if you set it to something wrong then perhaps a hint about the var should be good?