Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:21:10 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:
>
>> I just took a look across the fence.  In XEmacs, they have
>>
>>     `accelerate-menu' is an interactive built-in function
>>     (accelerate-menu)
>>
>>     Documentation:
>>     Make the menubar active.  Menu items can be selected using menu
>>     accelerators or by actions defined in menu-accelerator-map.
>>
>> It would probably not be the worst idea to do this via a keybinding
>> instead of hardwired.  If that is infeasible for some reason or
>> already done like this, never mind.  I seem to remember from what I
>> saw in the patch that you did it in some other manner?
>
> You mean that navigation with arrow keys/Return/ESC should not be
> hardwired but done with a keybinding?

Oh no, that would be a total mess, I guess.  No, just the F10 key
function should be a keybinding pointing to something like
"accelerate-menu".  Again, if it is already done like this, never
mind.

> We could probably do this for Lucid, as we maintain the code for
> that.  But for Gtk+ and Lesstif/Motif, the actions are hardwired in
> the toolkit itself.  There might be a way to work around that, but I
> guess it would be too much work for too little gain.

I definitely agree.  I was not intending to suggest interfering with
the menu-internal operation.  I was just thinking about the way to
_initiate_ it.