Re: Elisp manual, node "Comparison of Numbers"

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Elisp manual, node "Comparison of Numbers"
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:40:17 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
Yes, in a sense you are right. I should have expressed my self a bit
differently, but I am afraid you missed the point. The crucial thing
is that you divide the difference with the "distance" from 0 to
construct the number you compare to the fuzz factor.

In which case, the relative distance from 0 is 1.0 for _any_ nonzero
number.  And your point was?
This of course.
It seems reasonable to me but breaks down in the special case where
one of the numbers are 0 (and the other is not).

Relative measures don't work when comparing with 0.  But 0.0 can
pretty much only come about by cancellation, and then comparison is
unreliable anyway.  It might be worth pointing out, but it certainly
is not a remedy to rechristen a relative measure to absolute.
I guess that is true. So maybe it is better to ask Drew what he was going to compare so we can construct a better measurement.