Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:26:47 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> But the hacks will have to be hunted down and replaced one by one,
> anyway, since the stuff indiscriminately refreshes everything instead
> of just the required parts of the display.

Not so -- if we allow (but ignore) the object to update, code can
be written as if it DTRT.

(defun redisplay-now (&optional object)
  "Force immediate display update of all windows.
If optional arg object is a frame, update display of that frame only.
If optional arg object is a window, update display of that window only.
If object is a buffer or buffer name, update display of all windows
displaying that buffer."
  ;; There is currently no way to update individual windows, so
  ;; update everything.
  (let ((redisplay-dont-pause t))
    (sit-for 0)))

Of course, in this form, it redisplays way too much if you specify a
window or frame object, but in most cases, nobody will be able to notice!

See also force-window-update.