Re: emacs-unicode-2: global-auto-revert-mode doesn't work properly

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: emacs-unicode-2: global-auto-revert-mode doesn't work properly
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:27:58 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, William Xu <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> In article <address@hidden>, William Xu <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I've set global-auto-revert-mode to t, and there are two emacs opening
>>> the same file, say `foo'. When one of them *inserts*(deletion doesn't
>>> have this problem, strangely..) something and saves foo, then in the
>>> other emacs's foo buffer, it prompts (which shouldn't happend as
>>> global-auto-revert-mode is turned on),
>>
>>> foo changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
>>
>>> Typing either n or r seems no effects, it'll keep prompting. Typing y
>>> removes the prompt, though.
>>
>> I think emacs-unicode-2 doesn't change anything about that
>> feature.  Don't you see the same problem in CVS HEAD?

> Nope... actually i used to be using emacs-snapshot, things just work
> fine. I turned to emacs-unicode for gbk support recently, and met that
> problem.

Ah, I found that this bug happens when you insert non-ASCII
characters, and I found the reason why that causes the
problem only in emacs-unicode-2 (difference in REPLACE
handling in Finsert_file_contents; HEAD uses insert_1 but
emacs-unicode-2 uses insert_from_buffer).  I'm now working
on fixing it.  Please wait for a while.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden