Re: [OT] Netiquette

From: Alastair Houghton
Subject: Re: [OT] Netiquette
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:57:17 +0100

On 15 Jun 2006, at 09:30, Richard Stallman wrote:

It shouldn't be surprising that if someone complains about something
you have said, and then you and others proceed to attack them for
complaining, they won't want to work with you.

David Kastrup's remark was somewhat harsh, harsh enough that he ought
not to have said it.  Your complaint was justified, as far as that
goes.

However, what he said wasn't really an attack on you, just somewhat
harsh.  So I think that, even though you had grounds for a complaint,
it would have been wiser for you to let the matter slide.

Yes, I think I'd agree with that in hindsight, but it's much easier to say that now.

It seems that both you and others passed up opportunities to let the
quarrel end (by not responding).  If only people had used those
opportunities, we would have had a good outcome.

Yes, both sides share the guilt to some degree and I for my part am sorry that it happened. It's wasted a lot of time that people could better have spent either working on their job (which is my priority right now) or contributing to Emacs.

In light of your reply, I will be happy to sign any copyright assignment form that I do receive. I still feel, sadly, that I'm now much less likely to contribute in future, but who knows; maybe I will change my mind at some point.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://www.alastairs-place.net