Re: Meta and Alt confusion in the manual

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Meta and Alt confusion in the manual
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 04:30:58 +0100

Sascha Wilde wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:
In "(emacs) Symbol Completion" (31.8):

      The character `M-<TAB>' ... (If your window manager defines
   `M-<TAB>' to ...
The window manager of course does not use M-<TAB>. It uses
Alt-<TAB>.
Things are even more complicated

It isn't really complicated at all. We are talking about a conflict of window manager key assignments with Emacs' assignments, and we are talking about it in relation to how it affects Emacs. So it makes sense to talk about it in terms of what Emacs calls its keybindings. M-<TAB> is one key assignment we have singled out as commonly affected.