Re: address@hidden: mouse-autoselect-window needs a delay]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: mouse-autoselect-window needs a delay]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:30:18 +0000 (UTC)

    > WMs that support focus-follows-mouse together with
    > raise-on-focus have a similar issue.  ... deal with that issue
    > by (a) having a delay, (b) requiring the mouse to be stationary,
    > or (c) both,

    > ... focus is less likely to be transferred when the user does
    > not wish it.  My current WM implements (a) with something like a
    > 0.5s delay.

    > Comments?  Simon.

I have focus-follows-mouse together with raise-on-focus in my window
manager and mouse-autoselect-window in Emacs, with zero delay in both
cases, and have never had a problem.  Indeed, I love the current
configuration.  It is much easier and more efficent for me than any
alternative.

Recently I suffered an alternative: because of a lightning strike, I
had to run WindowMaker (on an old and and known-to-be-broken machine,
but less broken than the zapped machine).  That instance of the window
manager (the only one I could run on that machine at first) did not
have raise-on-focus that I could find.  It was terrible.  I moved the
cursor much more.

(I don't know if a working WindowMaker lacks raise-on-focus; if it
lacks, as delivered, the window manager is broken.  More likely, the
lack is a side effect of the old and broken machine.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8