Re: Strange eval-after-load

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Strange eval-after-load
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 18:16:06 +0100

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:05:27AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I don't think this invalidates my main point, namely that there are valid
>     uses of eval-after-load.

> Perhaps there are some.  Anyone who wants to install a call to
> eval-after-load should talk with me, so we can see if it really
> is necessary -- and so we can maybe implement a way to avoid it.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give your views on the example I quoted from
cc-defs.el.  I am getting very frustrated that people seem to be evading
my main point, namely that code like

    ;; Make edebug understand the macros.
    (eval-after-load "edebug"
      '(progn
           (def-edebug-spec cc-eval-when-compile t)
           (def-edebug-spec c-point t)
           (def-edebug-spec c-set-region-active t)
           ))

is not merely acceptable, but is an epitome of clear and efficient
coding.  If I am wrong here, then please educate me, bring me to
understand HOW I am wrong.

Given that CC Mode is intented to be compatible with many (X)Emacs
versions, nearly all of which lack the `declare' feature in defmacro, I
cannot see how I can get along without eval-after-loads like the above.

I do not understand why you regard eval-after-load as objectionable.
Just because it can be used in an objectionable fashion does not make it
objectionable per se.

It seems to me that eval-after-load is essential in the following
circumstance:

A package (say, CC Mode) must tweak something in an optional library
which a user may choose to load (say, font-lock[*] or edebug) in order
to work satisfactorally with it.

[*] Yes, I know that font-lock is now pre-loaded, but it didn't used to
be.

I believe that Emacs should NEVER clutter up a user's ram by loading
libraries he will not be using.  Not edebug, not Info, not Font Lock[*].

Unless there is a better way of doing things, I do not want to take the
eval-after-loads out of CC Mode.  Please tell me that this is OK.

--
Alan.