text.texi - Node: Text Properties

From: Andreas Roehler
Subject: text.texi - Node: Text Properties
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:27:05 +0200

| File: text, Node: Text Properties
| Text Properties
| ===============
|   Each character position in a buffer or a string can have a "text
| property list", much like the property list of a symbol (*Note Property
| Lists::).  The properties belong to a particular character at a
| particular place, such as, the letter `T' at the beginning of this
| sentence or the first `o' in `foo'

That's understood. The following remark might be
misleading, as in `fundamental-mode' all chars join the
property `nil' AFAIS.

So I propose to cancel this:

| ---if the same character occurs in two
| different places, the two occurrences generally have different
| properties.

BTW examining this question once, I wrote two little
functions which turned out to be helpful at several
occasions (to get the name of faces at point etc.):

(defun g-t-p ()
 (message " %s" (get-text-property (point) 'face)))

(defun t-p-a ()
 "text-properties-at "
 (message " %s" (text-properties-at (point))))

Andreas Roehler