Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.

From: Evil Boris
Subject: Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:11:22 -0400

Peter Heslin <address@hidden> writes:

> I have some ascii text that I want to convert to utf-8, and it is
> encoded in a manner just like one of the quail input methods.  Can
> anyone tell me if there is a function that will take text from a buffer
> and treat it as if it were input as keystrokes to quail, and then output
> the result in Unicode?

I have run into a similar problem.  I have not found a solution yet,
maybe because I did not look too hard.  :-)

However, here's an exceedingly cheap trick that may work.  Run Emacs
in terminal mode (-nw) mode.  Open a new buffer in a new window and
set its input method to the one you want.  Now copy-paste the text you
want into the new buffer using the mouse and voila!

I just checked it here and it worked, sort of.  I have an Emacs
running in a Putty terminal window and I was able to turn text into
Cyrillic (Koi8-r, if you care) by just pasting from one window to
another.  (Accidentally picking up already encoded text and pasting it
produces spectacular gibberish.)

I would love to know of a nicer way of doing this.

Cheers,
        --Boris