Re: Russian letters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Russian letters
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:06:57 +0300

> From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 18:30:12 +0300
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> > > Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:59:40 +0300

> > > Why not do the same to the typed characters?
> >
> > Maybe it does, let's find out: how did you type those characters?  Did
> > you use a Leim input method (which one?), or did you type them on your
> > keyboard?
>
> I think it is Leim input method `russian-computer'.  I.e. I use `C-\' in
> Emacs to switch between US Engish and Russian keyboard layouts.

Handa-san, should Leim obey utf-fragment-on-decoding?  I think it
should, but maybe there's some complication that prevents it.

> No matter how the characters are encoded, if they conceptually are
> the same, they should be displayed using the same method, no?

Ideally, yes.  However, this is a harsh requirement: a font assumes a
certain encoding of a character, so Emacs cannot easily use another
font if it's for a different encoding.

> Cronyx fonts do indeed support Russian characters.  However, customizing
> `default' face to use cronyx-courier for some reason influences only the
> current Emacs session.  Bug?

Probably.  I'll let Handa-san to answer this.

> Actually, I now see that I had this problem before and wrote about it in
> ``Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)'' thread:
>
>     I went to install all the fonts I could find in my Debian Sarge.  And
>     found cronyx-courier font, which looks nice _and_ has Cyrillic
>     characters.  However, when I customize the default face in Emacs and
>     set that font family, latin characters are still displayed in
>     adobe-courier (though Cyrillic ones are shown in cronyx-courier)...
>     And the customization doesn't take any effect after I restart Emacs...
>     Any ideas?
>
> Kenichi Handa answered:
>
>    Perhaps that because you don't have
>    -cronyx-courier-...-iso8859-1.  Emacs by default uses an
>    iso8859-1 font for ASCII.  To change it, you must create a
>    proper fontset by one of these ways: [...]
>
> How an average user is supposed to find it is beyond me.

They shouldn't.  But I think Debian should add a -cronyx-courier font
for Latin-1, because without that Emacs is broken for Cyrillic
scripts.  Or maybe there's some other Unicode font that covers both
Cyrillic and Latin-1.