Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:03:51 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought that's what the DDC protocols are for, that are supported by
> "Plug&Play" monitors.

You're right, DDC is supported for analog monitors also. So I wonder
why 320mm was reported as the width for all 3 of my monitors. It is
about right for the 15.1" and 14.1" widescreen, but the 19" should be
closer to 400mm.

In case anyone wants to investigate why the numbers are off (is
Windows using what the monitor reports?), there's a program to read
the data from the monitor independantly of the OS/video drivers here:

http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/

It fails on my laptop with the 15.1" display when run from Windows XP,
however.