Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:19:55 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> IOW, the usefulness you describe for face `fixed-pitch' is an argument for
> its existence as a face, but as a *constant* face. Since it is specifically
> intended to have a constant appearance (its particular appearance is its
> raison d'etre), changing its appearance should somehow be discouraged or
> prevented.

That doesn't make the least bit of sense -- 90% of the _reason_ for
having a face like `fixed-pitch' is so that the user can change it!

There are various place in emacs that want a fixed-pitch font: by
inheriting from `fixed-pitch', there's no need for the user to customize
all those faces if he wants to change which fixed-pitch font gets used
in general; he can just customize `fixed-pitch'.

A bit of documentation saying "please make sure this face uses a
fixed-pitch font" would be OK, but it seems rather redundant given the
name of the face...

"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson