Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:19:55 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> IOW, the usefulness you describe for face `fixed-pitch' is an argument for
> its existence as a face, but as a *constant* face. Since it is specifically
> intended to have a constant appearance (its particular appearance is its
> raison d'etre), changing its appearance should somehow be discouraged or
> prevented.

That doesn't make the least bit of sense -- 90% of the _reason_ for
having a face like `fixed-pitch' is so that the user can change it!

There are various place in emacs that want a fixed-pitch font: by
inheriting from `fixed-pitch', there's no need for the user to customize
all those faces if he wants to change which fixed-pitch font gets used
in general; he can just customize `fixed-pitch'.

A bit of documentation saying "please make sure this face uses a
fixed-pitch font" would be OK, but it seems rather redundant given the
name of the face...

-Miles
--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson