Re: seg-fault in unexelf.c

From: Chip Coldwell
Subject: Re: seg-fault in unexelf.c
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:37:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Nick Roberts wrote:

I regularly build on FC5 without optimization and don't have any problems
(although I haven't done "make bootstrap for a while, the final build uses
"./temacs -l loadup -batch dump").

Which version? If you mean 21.4 (the one that ships with FC5), then all this means is that, for whatever reason, your kernel is aways setting up the temacs process with a contiguous address space. The fact that the Linux kernel could set up a process virtual address space with holes in it has to be dealt with anyway.

Although I must admit, a poll of all the vm-gurus in the building couldn't come up with a good reason *why* you would want a discontiguous process address space.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer