Re: xml-parse-file and text properties

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: xml-parse-file and text properties
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:38:02 -0700 (PDT)

> One first step would be to write a function that operates on a string
> and discards all text properties except composition.  More generally,
> all except a certain specified list of property names.

It seems cleaner to me to define a property symbol (like 'composition or
'fontified) as "necessary" to the text if it (the symbol) has a non-nil
value for one of its properties -- say, 'necessary, or 'textual.  Then
there could be `strip-superficial-properties' that removed text properties
whose names lacked the property.  I think this would be nearly as fast as
having a list to retain, but it would break for text properties whose name
aren't symbols.  It seems to me, though, that anything so important as to
need retention would be important enough to warrant a symbol for its name.

Davis

shipping.