Re: Copyrights on various (mostly etc/) files.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Copyrights on various (mostly etc/) files.
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:49:51 -0700

>     In particular, there was some concern over files like JOKES,
>     yow.lines, COOKIES, etc.  Have these been GPLed by the relevant
>     authors?  (So that it's legal to distribute *and* modify them?)
>
> We got rid of yow.lines.

Ahh, I see.  I had checked for the file in CVS, but hadn't looked *in*
the file.

> JOKES and COOKIES are the sort of minor thing we can use as long as
> the authors don't complain.

Would it be correct or incorrect to assume that those two files, along
with INTERVIEW and MOTIVATION, should be considered to be under
something more like a verbatim only license (like CENSORSHIP and
WHY-FREE) rather than being freely modifiable?

Thanks very much for the help.
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu