Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:55:44 +0900

> btw, i missed some of this thread so i assume "it" refers to
> `url-hexify-string'.  if discussion is actually about some other
> function (that calls `url-hexify-string'), i have no opinion on
> those matters.

Let me summarize:

  * Rev 1.12
    The argument is assumed to be a sequence of octets.  Namely,
    either a unibyte string or a multibyte string only containing
    ascii, eight-bit-control, or eight-bit-graphic.  A multibyte
    string containing characters in other charsets causes an error.

  * Rev 1.13
    The argument is assumed to be a sequence of characters.
    Incompatible change for non-ASCII strings.

  * Rev 1.14
    The argument is assumed to be either a sequence of characters or a
    sequence of octets depending on the multibyteness of the string.
    Incompatibility still remains for a multibyte string containing
    eight-bit-control or eight-bit-graphic, but usually negligible.

I'm not sure if encoding with UTF-8 is really useful, but I don't
strongly oppose it if compatibility for the unibyte case is preverved.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden