RE: address@hidden: Customize valuemenudoesn'trecognizemouse-2]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: Customize valuemenudoesn'trecognizemouse-2]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:16:01 -0700

    > As I said in this bug report, I would prefer that mouse-2 be
    > able to open the value menu if and only if mouse-2 can also select
    > from that menu. The same should be true of any mouse button: it
    > should open a menu if and only if it can also use the menu (select
    > from it).

    My preference is to unbind mouse-2 on buttons, at least for
    MS-Windows.  This will make behavior on all platforms consistent, as
    you would like.  But Richard asked not to make such a change, so my
    hands are tied.

IIUC, Richard didn't say that you couldn't let mouse-2 select menu items in
the value menu, in addition to opening the menu. My "if and only if", stated
from the beginning, allows for this. The subject line complains, in fact,
that mouse-2 does not let you select a menu item.

My only complaint here is the inconsistency between letting you open the
menu but not letting you select from it - with the same mouse button.

    > I feel the same about other menus, but this report was only about the
    > Customize value menu. If all kinds of menus cannot be fixed
    > this way, then let's at least fix as many as we can. It doesn't make
    > sense for a user to discover that s?he can open a menu with a mouse
    > button but cannot select from that menu with the same button. That
    > seems obvious, to me.

    Other menus already behave consistently, at least on Windows: you
    cannot drop a menu with mouse-2, and you cannot select a menu item
    with mouse-2.

As I said, one thing at a time.

It's more important to have local consistency (consistency for mouse
buttons, within the same general action - in this case, using the value
menu) than it is to have global consistency (in this case, consistency for
mouse buttons across all menus).

The idea seems simple to me: if someone uses mouse-2 on the value menu, so
the menu opens, then s?he will expect to also be able to select a menu item
with the same mouse button. Opening a menu and selecting an item in the menu
are thought of as part of the same overall act. Don't you agree? We usually
open menus to use them. No one thinks of switching mouse buttons mid-stream.

To me, it's OK to not let mouse-2 do either: open or choose. And it's OK to
let mouse-2 do both: open and choose. To me, it's not OK to do one but not
the other.

And, apparently, for Richard it's not OK to not let mouse-2 open. So,...