Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:41:02 +0900

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>> The main reason for putting scroll bars on the left is that most of the text
>> is on the left.  In ordinary X11 toolkit scroll bars, there are mouse
>> clicks whose operation is based on the line you click on, so it is useful
>> to see the scroll bar close to the text on the line.
>
> I am not sure which commands you mean. Dou you mean that middle click on the
> bar jumps the slider there?  GTK has that.

Xtk (and ATK for that matter) scrollbars use a very clever and handy
definition for the left/right mouse keys:  a left mouse-click in the
scrollbar scrolls so that the line next to the mouse pointer is at to
the top of the window; a right mouse-click scrolls so that the line at
the top of the window is next to the mouse-pointer.

Thus you can intuitively and precisely control the amount by which the
window scrolls due to mouse l/r scrollbar clicks (near the top of the
bar = "scroll a little", near the bottom = "scroll a lot").

[In ATK, it would even auto-repeat if you held down the mouse button, so
you could dynamically control the speed of scrolling by moving the
pointer up or down in the scrollbar while holding down the
mouse-button.  Xterm, at least, doesn't seem to implement this.]

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]