RE: how to control isearch for invisible text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how to control isearch for invisible text
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:17:25 -0700

    >     There is no implementation difficulty.  It is not useful
    >     to search for text that is not part of the visible buffer
    >     and can't become so without changing its properties.
    >
    > You're just repeating here that you don't see the usefulness. I ask
    > why it wouldn't be useful, and you answer only "It is not useful."

    You are arguing for an invasive change.  Please describe a concrete
    actual situation you have encountered where it would actually be
    useful.  Up to now, you just provided generic handwaving.

OK, so the argument is, after all, that this is not easy to implement.

I have no "actual situation". I was searching through a buffer that had some
invisible text (as an overlay), and I wanted to know if there was an isearch
option for finding it - that's all. You answered "yes" - thank you.

I suggested documenting that option better and making it a toggle in
`isearch'. You said it shouldn't be documented better, it shouldn't be a
user option after all, and, a fortiori, it shouldn't be toggled in
`isearch'.

I wondered, and asked, why the "open" behavior was limited to overlays. Your
answers were not clear to me, but it seems now that the answer is that that
would be an invasive change (although "there is no implementation
difficulty"). Thanks for clarifying.

I do hope the user option `search-invisible' 1) remains a user option, 2)
gets better documented, as it seems useful, and 3) gets an associated toggle
in `isearch'.