Re: python-mode: make sure output is not eaten

From: Steven Huwig
Subject: Re: python-mode: make sure output is not eaten
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:34:17 -0400

On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Steven Huwig wrote:

Probably it compensates for indented text without a trailing newline.
It doesn't look like python-mode itself has any situations where this
matters, but it is possible -- but unlikely -- for user input to be
affected.

If you do the following in python-mode with both versions:

C-c C-s for i in range(1, 5): C-q C-j
<tab> print i, <return>

you will see the difference in behavior.

To explain my post a little more, I think the new code is the right
thing.  If someone is astute enough to type in multi-line Python
commands at an Emacs interactive prompt, then they will likely be
astute enough to realize that they need to add an extra newline.

Plus I don't think the usage pattern is typical in the first place;
there is a comint buffer for such interaction.

-- Steven Huwig