Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:18:35 -0400

    When Lisp programs request a border, then the margin explicitly specified
    by the `:margin' keyword affects how the cursor in displayed on images.
    After Kim's changes, the box cursor fills the margin with the cursor's
    color, and the bar cursor doesn't fill the margin and uses the hollow
    cursor with the 1-pixel border.  I think this is good behavior.

It sounds plausible; if you find it easy to see the cursor this way
then I expect it is good.

    The only problem I see now with Kim's changes is that the box cursor
    on non-transparent images with no margin is not visible at all.

If that is so, how about changing the cursor to a different type when
that case occurs?  It should be easy and will solve this problem.

Kim wrote:

    But there is still a visible difference when the cursor is on the image.

What is that visible difference?