Re: [Patch] url-cookie-write-file saves versioned backups

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Patch] url-cookie-write-file saves versioned backups
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:18:46 -0400

    I don't know why the original changes were made to disable version
    control for the cookies file, but I assume that if it is to be done,
    `version-control' as `set' locally in the buffer is supposed to have
    the same value as the one inserted into the Local Variables section of
    the file.  Right now the former is set to t and the latter is set to
    never.

It does seem like a bug to specify two different values for the same
variable in two different ways.  So we should change something.
The question that remains is what value to use.

Who put in the two specifications for these two values,
and what were their motives, and who else saw those reasons and
agreed with them or opposed them.