Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:13:36 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
I haven't been following this closely, so, please, no flames if I'm off the
mark or if this has already been suggested.

Would this be a good approach?

1. Mention in the Emacs tutorial that it applies to the standard (default)
key bindings.

2. Perhaps detect non-standard bindings, and draw attention to #1 with an
explicit message.

3. Perhaps point out again, in specific sections, that the bindings used
there are the standard ones. Perhaps mention the corresponding commands by
name, so users can nevertheless try them (if appropriate).
Thanks for the suggestions. I think however that these are already covered in the suggestions made earlier.

4. Provide a separate tutorial for CUA, which complements the Emacs tutorial
and covers the parts of the Emacs tutorial that don't make sense for CUA.
Unless the region is active there is only a few keys (C-v and M-v) that are really different when CUA mode is used. When the region is visible C-x and C-c also works differently. S-C-x and S-C-c can be used instead and this should be explained.

Those differences are small so there is no need for a separate tutorial. Instead it should be enough to point them out in the beginning of the tutorial and mark those keys in the tutorial text. At least I think we have come close to an agreement upon this in the discussion.

You are welcome to try the tutorial.el that I have sent earlier. However at least two things should be changed there:

1) The yellow part at the top that is shown when some of the standard keys mentioned in the tutorial have been changed should be smaller. To show the more detailed picture a "Details" link should be implemented as suggested by Kim.

2) Those keys changed changed should be marked or replaced in the tutorial text. Probably marking is best.

I will work on this and some more smaller changes.