Re: [BUG] Regexp compiler, problem with character classes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [BUG] Regexp compiler, problem with character classes
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:15:07 -0400

    (with-temp-buffer
      (string-match "x[[:space:]]" "x\n"))

    => nil

    (Fchar_syntax does
        gl_state.current_syntax_table = current_buffer->syntax_table;)

re_search_2 does it also, thru the macro
SETUP_SYNTAX_TABLE_FOR_OBJECT.  I just verified that
gl_state.current_buffer->syntax_table has the proper value after that
line.

So I do not understand why string-match returns the wrong value.
There must be a reason, but it is not such a simple reason.
Can someone debug it and figure that out?