Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:14:36 -0400

> I did "cvs co" on March 24, 2005.  I did not count the "cvs up" I did
> since then, the last one was a week ago.  Can you explain how dates in
> the range from 1999 till 2004 made it to my Entries?  IMHO, these dates
> must reflect the corresponding dates in the repository.

Indeed, when you do `cvs co', cvs manually sets the mtime of the files it
creates to match the time when they were committed.  After that, cvs doesn't
fiddle with the mtime any more (i.e. the mtime does reflect the time at
which the file was later updated).

> This, of course, includes the case where (as in <"An example of the
> problem">) a file is created in one DST season and is then read from the
> opposite DST season (for example, create a file in summer (which
> effectively sets a summer file time from summer) and then read it from
> winter), but it also includes hitherto unseen cases in which
> FindFirstFile() will even return the wrong time for a file time in the
> same DST season as the current system time if the file time was set from
> the opposite DST season to the current system time (for example, set a
> summer file time from winter and then read it from summer). Also note
> that, in other thus-far unseen cases, FindFirstFile() can return the
> correct time for a file time in the opposite DST season to the current
> system time if the file time was set from the same DST season as the
> current system time (for example, set a winter file time from summer and
> then read it from summer).

Indeed, that's why it's hopeless: just do `cvs update' and get on with
your life.

        Stefan