Re: calc-dispatch problem

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: calc-dispatch problem
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:48:42 -0500

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> Slawomir Nowaczyk <address@hidden> writes:
>> Press "M-`" twice, *fast*. I get an error "calc-embedded-edit: Expected `)'"
>
>> If I press "M-`" slowly, however (with about 1-2 second pause between
>> first and second keypress), calc opens properly.
> It seems to be deliberate. calc-dispatch uses (sit-for
> echo-keystrokes) to wait for further input, then acts differently
> depending on what keys were pressed or if the sit-for timed out starts
> calc normally. Repeating the keys that invoked calc-dispatch seems to
> try to evaluate the current line using calc as far as I can tell.

Repeating the keys should start calc up normally.
But `calc-dispatch' followed by "`" or "M-`" normally starts
calc-embedded-edit, and which behavior is used depends on whether or
not the `sit-for' is interrupted or not.
If the `sit-for' is interrupted, then a subsequent call of
`this-command-keys' gets a longer string than if `sit-for' isn't
interrupted.  I don't know what good the `sit-for' is doing; calc
shouldn't behave differently depending on how fast those keys are
pressed.
The behaviour without the `sit-for' seems the proper behaviour;
perhaps the `sit-for' should be removed.

Jay