Re: jit-lock simplification?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jit-lock simplification?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:43:47 -0400

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I was debugging a timer problem, and noticed some very odd lambda
>>> forms in the timer-list.  It turns out to be the lambda generated by
>>> the jit-lock code below.
>>
>>> Wouldn't it work just as well with the following patch?
>>
>> I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well.
>> I just find it less elegant ;-)

> Disagree.  If `run-with-timer' has the possibility of passing values,
> that should be preferred over `lexical-let'.

My opinion obviously differs.  More specifically, I consider this ability to
pass extra values to be nothing but a hack to work around the lack of
lexical scoping in plain elisp.  Luckily, CL does provide us with lexical
scoping, and there's even hope that some future Emacs will support lexical
scoping natively.

But really, this is all a matter of taste.  If you guys want to change my
code, go for it.

        Stefan