Some suggestion WRT gtk related variables

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Some suggestion WRT gtk related variables
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:59:59 +0200

Hi,

`M-x apropos-variable RET gtk- RET' shows...

,----[ M-x apropos-variable RET gtk- RET ]
| x-gtk-show-chooser-help-text
|   Variable: *If non-nil, the GTK file chooser will by show additional help
text.
| x-gtk-show-hidden-files
|   Variable: *If non-nil, the GTK file chooser will by default show hidden
files.
| x-gtk-whole-detached-tool-bar
|   Variable: *If non-nil, a detached tool bar is shown in full.
| x-use-old-gtk-file-dialog
|   Variable: *Non-nil means prompt with the old GTK file selection dialog.
`----

Why do we use the term "chooser" in `x-gtk-show-chooser-help-text' and
the term "file dialog" in `x-use-old-gtk-file-dialog'.  I'd suggest to
use "file dialog" in both variables, i.e. rename
`x-gtk-show-chooser-help-text' to `x-gtk-file-dialog-help-text'.

I'd also suggest to rename `x-use-old-gtk-file-dialog' to
`x-gtk-use-old-file-dialog'.  Maybe it's doc string should say what is
"old" and "new" in GTK version numbers?

Maybe it would make sense to allow `x-gtk-show-chooser-help-text' to
be nil, t or a (customizable) string instead of the hard coded text:

,----[ gtkutil.c ]
|   if (x_gtk_show_chooser_help_text)
|     {
|       message[0] = '\0';
|       if (action != GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE)
|         strcat (message, "\nType C-l to display a file name text entry
box.\n");
|       strcat (message, "\nIf you don't like this file selector, use the "
|               "corresponding\nkey binding or customize "
|               "use-file-dialog to turn it off.");
|
|       wmessage = gtk_label_new (message);
|       gtk_widget_show (wmessage);
|     }