Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version contr

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version control svn or cvs
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:58:48 -0400

    This works fine with Linux, WindowsXP and Cygwin.

Windows XP is an operating system, but Linux is just a part of one.
Linux is the kernel that people use with the GNU system.
If you call the system "Linux", that gives the system's principal developers
none of the credit.  Would you please give us equal mention
by calling the system "GNU/Linux"?

    Can I put a directory ".emacs.d" including an init.el somewhere under
    Windows/Cygwin so that it will be recognized by a default Emacs
    installation (C:\.emacs.d\init.el is ignored when there is no C:\.emacs
    or C:\_emacs)?

Emacs ought to recognize ~/.emacs.d/init.el, on any system, when it does
not find .emacs.  If this does not work on Windows, it is a bug.
Could you confirm that that is what is happening to you?

    My Linux version is (from Ubuntu Dapper: Emacs Snapshot):

Ubuntu is a version of the GNU/Linux system.  See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.